Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Museum about You?

I, self confessed collector-cum-impulse buyer of scarfs and shawls, and who owns approximately ten times more khangas than my mother... Some scarfs plain and others quite colourful. Some for use and some just to see, well, most just to see (sigh!), I have no idea why i like them, but my wardrobe might just start to scare me if I put much thought into it...

So last night I was thinking, if I was the 'Karen' of my time, you know the Karen Blixen Museum? Very interesting house, with some ancient mill behind... Now, in XY years to come, they would display my house to your descendants, nothing much to see but they would still look extremely awed. At least thats what museums ought to do to them. [There would be a guide, born many years after my existence but talking as if he had been my personal 'mboch' for the longest time.] "Oh, this was her kitchen sink, and this was her blender. This was her toilet, this was her bathroom. This was her favourite couch, this was the window she liked looking through most(big lie). It was suspected that she liked watching her hubby getting home(oh, please!). She also liked to look at the hills and the clouds(really?). This broken vase, with the pieces inside was too precious for her to throw away(some truth finally.)... And this is where she kept her collection of scarfs(then they all go touching the pieces of cloth and saying how nice they are, 'ooing & cooing' at the fabrics, such rare material, they must have cost her a fortune! either without realizing its the very 'kawaida' fabric in bulk, or choosing to act so). And this is where she kept her books."

Then he would continue, "This skipping rope was bought but never used..."

Some vain & silly thought, huh? I often wonder, many years after I have left this world, hopefully at a very ripe age, what will I be remembered for? Is it what I had, owned, achieved for me? Or is it my impact on the people around me? Will they speak of how much my faith had impacted them? I pray to leave a positive yet permanent mark on those around me and those to come. Tafakari hayo(Of course in regards to yourself).

Happy midweek people!

No comments: